Any disturbance to the public right-of-way requires a permit issued by the Department of Transportation. Right-of-Way Permits are required for lane and road closures as well as other activities in the public right of way. Applicants may be referred for this type of permit through the Department of Transportation.

The Department of Transportation issues various permits for working in or blocking the public right-of-way. Examples of such work may include installing or making repairs to a driveway apron or sidewalk; building a structure that requires a driveway apron; or tapping into an existing sewer/sanitary line.

Standard Details

The details for working in the City of Atlanta's public right-of-way, outlined in this document, must be followed for all permitted work. For additional information, please click the link here.

Public Right-of-Way Manual

The Public Right of Way Manual is intended to serve as a reference to anyone needing general information regarding activities conducted under a permit, franchise agreement or special agreement within the City’s public right-of-way in the City of Atlanta (“City”). This manual is in its first edition and will be updated as necessary. It attempts to address typical issues and frequently asked questions. It does not include a discussion or information concerning every issue that may arise regarding the City’s public right-of-way.

For additional information, please click the link here.

Bike sharing by Go HOPRBike sharing by Go HOPR

Apply for a Permit

    • Right-of-way work permits
    • Dining permits
    • Working in the right-of-way
    View all permits